You need protein to build muscle, that’s a fact that you simply can’t avoid and it’s one that has spawned a multi-million dollar protein supplement industry. But contrary to what you might think, and contrary to what whey protein companies want you to believe, you don’t need to consume vast quantities of a dairy byproduct just to get your fix.
Today we have a unique recipe that proves two things:
- There is such a thing as a high-quality vegan protein, and;
- You can get a huge dose of it in a healthy, low-calorie and delicious shake.
This smoothie recipe not only delivers over 20 grams of high quality protein, but it also contains many heart-healthy fats, copious amounts of gut-friendly fiber, and some vitamins and minerals thrown in for good measure.
This smoothie proves that whey protein is not essential and it’s not the best choice. One sip of this and you’ll be a vegan protein convert—trust us!
- 1 & ½ cups frozen blueberries (1.5 gr. Protein, yes even blueberries have protein)
- 1 cup organic soy milk (9 gr. Protein)
- ¼ cup hemp hearts (13 gr. Protein!!)
- ¼ avocado (1 gr. Protein)
- 1 heaping scoop of Detox Organics powder (2 gr. Protein)
- Now you do the math! Share in comments how much protein in this smoothie recipe!
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- ½ kiwi
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp hemp hearts
Add the milk first to a high speed blender then all other ingredients.
Blend on a high speed until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
You can add it to a bowl and eat like a breakfast bowl, or you can add more milk/water and drink like a smoothie.
If you opt for a smoothie bowl, be sure to top with fresh berries (strawberries work really well), hemp hearts and some cacao nibs. They’ll provide a nice balance of flavor and texture while significantly boosting the protein content.
More Recipes Like This
Recipe By Natalie Sader