We like protein bars as much as the next person. But there’s a reason they taste “just like a candy bar”, and that’s because they are often loaded with sugar. What’s more, the “protein” they use is often of a very low quality, as their main goal is to increase the macros and catch the eye of the average consumer, and not to create something that uses the best quality ingredients.
If you enjoy the convenience of protein bars but crave something a little more substantial and a lot less “cheap and nasty”, then try these energy balls out. The addition of nuts ensures they pack a powerful protein punch, while the fruits and seeds will help to protein essential carbs and fats.
- 1 cup of nuts (tree nuts + almonds or any nuts of your choice)
- 10 dates and 12 plums
- 1 scoop of Detox Organics (buy your tub here)
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds (coconut flakes work great too!)
- Grind nuts, dates and plums in food processor
- Add a scoop of Detox Organics
- Shape into 1 inch balls
- Roll them to cover them in sesame seeds
And don’t be afraid to experiment a little! The dates will provide the sweetness and help to bring the mixture together and the Detox Organics will ensure it’s as healthy as can be, but everything else can be chopped and changed at will. Swap plums for grapes, use chopped peanuts instead of sesame seeds–do whatever feels right and whatever suits your tastes and pantry!